Sierra Ranch Life Adventures
Spend a day or two with a ranch family in the Sierra La Laguna Biosphere Reserve. Take cheese making and/or leather working workshops, enjoy ranch meals and learn about the unique ranchero culture of Baja California Sur. This is not a recreation of a Baja ranch with actors, but rather a working ranch with a wonderful family that has exceptional skills and a remarkable way of life to share. Our guests often say this is one of the favorite experiences in Baja California Sur. Please contact us for more details.
The ranchero culture of Baja California Sur is quite distinct from that of the rest of México. The forebears of the current generation were handpicked by Jesuit missionaries for their skills in farming and ranching, as well as for their qualities of honor, trustworthiness and focus on family. When the Jesuits were thrown out of Baja, these farmers and ranchers were given some of the Jesuit lands. The result is an egalitarian culture that values skill, hard work, family and hospitality, and in this visit to a working ranch you’ll see all those qualities on full display.
Our hosts are Don Catarino, Doña Luz and their son Rogelio who have one of the prettiest ranches in the Biosphere Reserve. They are great fun, extremely knowledgeable, and love sharing the many wonderful activities that make their ranch such a great place to live and visit. Workshops are available on a range of skills including traditional leatherworking, cheese making, traditional tortilla-making from scratch and candy creation. In addition, there are hikes to rock art paintings, waterfalls and other beautiful locations. Don Cata and Rogelio are famous throughout Baja for their encyclopedic knowledge of local plants and their uses and they are happy to share that knowledge with those who are interested.
- Two Days/One Night with 2 workshops, 2 hikes, 4 meals. Minimum 4 people
- Three Days/Two Nights with 3 workshops, 3 hikes, 6 meals. Minimum 4 people
- Roundtrip Todos Santos or Cabo/Ranch transportation
- Bilingual naturalist guide who is a certified Wilderness First Responder
- Workshops with rancheros as indicated in itinerary
- Hikes with rancheros as indicated in itinerary
- Meals with rancheros as indicated in itinerary
- Dome tents and therma rests. We recommend that guests bring their own sleeping bags but we can also provide.
- Sun showers and compost toilets